Italian Baked Macaroni and Cheese
An Italian easy twist with step-by-step pictures of baked macaroni and
cheese and a nice gratin. You might like this authentic Italian version
so to make a change to your classic Mac and Cheese.
This is an easy homemade recipe coated with a creamy cheese and with a very tasty flavor.
This Italian backed pasta recipe is ideal for cheese lovers and this Italian version is made with Emmentaler, Parmesan and Italian Fontina cheese, but there are countless combinations of cheeses that you can add according to your personal taste.
Baked macaroni and cheese is a dish that tastes nice and it's very attractive that even tots love.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients: serves 6
- 1 ¼ lb (600g) of celentani (tubular curly pasta), macaroni or other short pasta shape
- 3 oz (85g) of butter (2 oz for the recipe 1 oz for the bottom of the pan)
- 8 oz (230g) grated Emmentaler or Gruviera Swiss cheese
- 8 oz (230g) Italian Fontina cheese
- 8 oz (230g) Parmesan cheese (better Italian Parmigiano Reggiano)
- 3 oz (85g) flour
- 1 qt (1 lt) milk
- 1 onion
- pinch of nutmeg
- little extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30g) breadcrumbs
Preparation: easy 40 minutes
To make macaroni and cheese first clean and grate all the cheese.
Then turn on the oven to 350°F (180°C) and put water to boil for pasta.
- Then you have to prepare a cream of cheeses, so in a saucepan sauté the onion with the butter.
- Sauté over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes and then add the flour.
- Begin to stir and when the mixture begins to brown pour the
milk in the same pot, and continue stirring until you get a creamy
- After done you can add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add a part of the grated cheeses keeping aside a tablespoon of each, then stir until all ingredients are mixed. Let it cook for at least 7 minutes.
- Cook the pasta following the cooking time written on the package, minus a couple of minutes because the pasta must be "al dente", then drain it all.
- Once drained pour into a bowl, add in a little extra virgin olive oil and stir so that the pasta does not stick together.
- Now you must butter well a large baking casserole, and you can do this easily with a pastry brush.
- Cover the base and sides of the casserole with breadcrumbs.
- Combine the cream of cheeses to the pasta and stir well.
- Immediately after pour the pasta in the casserole.
- Sprinkle the top with the spoonfuls of cheeses that you had previously kept aside.
The last thing to do is to cook for about half an hour at
350°F (180°C), or until the surface has acquired a golden color and the
classic crust is formed. Once ready, remove the casserole from the oven
and serve these Italian baked macaroni and cheese piping hot.
RELATED RECIPES & STORIES...
Keep in Touch... Be Updated NO SPAM I Promise!