This Italian backed pasta recipe is ideal for cheese lovers and this Italian version is made with Emmentaler, Parmigiano and Italian Fontina cheese, but there are countless combinations of cheeses that you can add according to your personal taste.
The dish consists of a timbale of pasta topped with a béchamel sauce in which cheeses such as cheddar and parmesan are melted, all is baked in the oven to create a creamy paste with a beautiful golden crust on the surface.
Obviously, as often happens in these types of preparations there are many recipes and variations. So adjusting only a few doses with different Italian chesses according to my taste I got creamy and tasty macaroni and cheese just as I expected them!
Italian Style Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Ingredients: serves 6
- 1 ¼ lb (600 gr) of Italian celentani (tubular curly pasta shape), macaroni or other short pasta
- 2 cups (500 ml) milk
- 8 oz (230 gr) Italian Fontina cheese
- 8 oz (230 gr) Parmigiano Reggiano grated
- 8 oz (230 gr) Mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz (230 gr) Emmentaler or Gruviera Swiss cheese
- 3 oz (85 gr) flour
- 2 tbsp (30 gr) breadcrumbs
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
Preparation: easy 40 minutes
- To make macaroni and cheese first remove the rind from all the cheeses.
Then turn on the oven to 350°F (180°C) and put the water for pasta to boil.
- Next we have to prepare a cream of cheeses, so in a saucepan put the butter once melted add the flour stir and make it like a paste.
- Begin to stir and when the mixture begins to brown pour the
milk in the same pot, and continue stirring until you get a creamy
- After done you can add salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Add a part of the grated cheeses keeping aside a tablespoon of each, then stir until all ingredients are mixed. Let it cook a few minutes until ti's all melted.
- Cook the pasta following the cooking time written on the package, minus a couple of minutes because the pasta must be "al dente", then drain it all.
- Once drained pour into a bowl, add in a little extra virgin olive oil and stir so that the pasta does not stick together.
- Now you must butter well a large baking casserole, and you can do this easily with a pastry brush.
- Cover the base and sides of the casserole with breadcrumbs.
- Combine the cream of cheeses to the pasta and stir well.
- Immediately after pour the pasta in the casserole.
- Sprinkle the top with the spoonfuls of cheeses that you had previously kept aside.
- The last thing to do is to cook for about half an hour at
350°F (180°C), or until the surface has acquired a golden color and the
classic crust is formed. Once ready, remove the casserole from the oven
and serve these Italian baked macaroni and cheese piping hot.