Italian Tomato Bread Soup
Tomato bread soup is a traditional Tuscan recipe, tasty, fast and cheap, very useful when you have bread leftovers that you don't want to throw.
30 Italian Pasta Sauces e-Book
Keep in Touch
Never Miss A Recipe!
Often on menus of Italian restaurants and taverns with traditional cuisine you can find this bread soup.
This tomato soup is suitable for every season as it can be served hot, cold, warm, heated.
Here's the traditional, classic recipe but there are many possible variations with onion, herbs and so on, of course all nice. For a tasty recipe, I recommend good fresh tomatoes, good extra virgin olive oil and fragrant basil.
Tomato Bread Soup
Ingredients: serves 2
- 7 oz (200g) of fresh tomato sauce or canned
- 5 oz (140g) unsalted homemade bread (preferably stale)
- 1 clove garlic
- extra virgin olive oil
Preparation: easy 1h
- In a saucepan
start heating some olive oil, then crush the whole garlic with a knife
(if you stick the garlic with a toothpick it's easier to remove later)
and fry it together with some pieces of chili.
- Add the tomato sauce.
- Cook 7-8 minutes until the tomato has dried. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile cut the bread into small pieces.
- Now add a glass of hot water to the tomato sauce, stir well and put in the hard bread to soak.
- Stir well so as to drench, switch off and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Let rest covered until just before serving.
- Before serving remove the garlic and reheat (to your taste). Mix well the ingredients.
- Serve in earthenware dishes.
- It's absolutely mandatory dress with a drizzle of good raw extra virgin olive oil and decorate it with two leaves of basil.
If you like sprinkle with grated Parmigiano cheese!
RELATED RECIPES & STORIES...